DGS Banner 2

School History

 

Photo - Headmistresses (1)    Photo - Headmistresses (2)   Photo - Campus (1)

Established with funds collected mainly from the European community by Mrs. Smith, wife of the first Bishop of Victoria, Diocesan Girls' School started as the Diocesan Native Female Training School for Chinese girls in 1860 at Bonham Road and Eastern Street. Six years later, it was renamed Diocesan Female School. In 1869 the School had to confine its service to orphans and destitute Chinese girls due to financial constraints. The School first received government financial assistance in 1878 and was placed under the Grant-in-aid scheme, officially limiting its intake to girls only.

Photo - Students (2)   Photo - Students (1)    Photo - Campus (2)

In 1913 the School finally moved to its present site in Kowloon. In the 1920s the school motto, 'Daily Giving Service', was adopted. During the Japanese occupation, the School was taken over as headquarters of the Japanese gendarmerie until it re-opened in September 1945. In the 1950s, three school blocks were constructed to accommodate the increasing student population. Recognising the need to further upgrade school facilities for both the Junior and Senior Schools, the School Council embarked on a large scale school expansion project and two extension blocks were opened respectively in 1993 and 1996. The Gymnasium Block was later redeveloped into a larger building housing up-to-date facilities to serve our changing needs and reopened in 2006. 

 

Photo - Campus (3)


In March 2009, the School decanted from 1, Jordan Road to a vacant school at 101, Castle Peak Road to allow for complete redevelopment of the campus. This school redevelopment project more than doubles the space available on campus and features new facilities, including a 1,400-seat Auditorium, a 300-seat Recital Hall, an all-weather 25m swimming pool and a modern library. The project was completed on time, allowing girls to return to the 1 Jordan Road campus in September 2011.